What a beautiful, productive month we have had in January. Visiting classes is such a satisfying experience, seeing the students working together, sharing goals, building together, helping one another. Please feel welcome to visit your child’s class at any time to see how they are spending their days. It is truly a joyful experience.
Do you have the passwords to all of your children’s devices and are you monitoring their usage? Time and again we are being asked to address social media issues. Is this really how you want the staff to spend their time? I know I don’t. Please note that as parents, you are responsible for overseeing your children’s media usage. You should be in dialogue with your children as well as with the parents of your children’s friends. It takes a village to raise a child. Your community is your village. Connect with one another and have conversations.
We look forward to February. Please remember that February 2 is District Wide Faith Development Day. I have attached the letter that was sent to you in mid-January. I was fortunate to attend last year’s Catholic Administrators Conference with Mike Patin who is the main speaker this year. I am certain it will be a very exciting and informative day. We also have Ash Wednesday, Family Day and Teacher’s Convention this month. While our teachers have been very busy attending PD throughout the first five months of the year, this month they will continue their learning journeys.
Thank you for a wonderful first half of the year. We look forward to serving you for the second half.
Office 365 Home Access for Students
Most students have been introduced to the Office 365 environment. This introduction has also focused on the ECSD Responsible Use Agreement and how important it is to be a good Digital Citizen when you are in online environments.
- Students can access Office 365 by going to myecsd.net or portal.office.com
- On myECSD students need to enter their id #: ecsd\XXXXXXX and the password they use to logon at school.
- Click on the “Students” tab: look under tools, click on OneDrive for Business or Outlook.
- Either way they will be redirected to the Edmonton Catholic Schools Office 365 home page.
- Enter username: XXXXXXX@school.ecsd.net (7-digit id #)and password: (same as ECSD login at school).
- Now the office 365 site will come up
- Click on to view the menu of what is available. Students will be able to use the office web apps to create projects online and their work will be automatically saved to their OneDrive for business account which has 1TB of storage.
- If you click on you will be able to download the Office Suite on your devices (you have up to 10 downloads).
- In Outlook all members of ECSD members have 50 GB of district email that enables them to communicate with others.
Got a PC or Mac? Students can logon to their Office 365 account and download Office on up to 10 computers. Please refer to directions above.
Alberta Education Announcement -
Adobe Home Use Software Licensing for Students
This program provides all students in school authorities participating in the Provincial Adobe License with the opportunity to purchase yearly subscriptions to the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application for $45 CAD.
Steps to purchase:
Step 1: Visit the https://ae-students.onthehub.com/ website.
Step 2: Create an account by clicking on "Sign In" (located at the top right-hand corner of this page) and then clicking on the "Register" button.
Step 3: Type your Office 365 Email Address, then 'Continue':
Step 4: Fill in your name and the password you would like. For Group, select 'Students'. Type the Captcha text, and 'Register'.
Step 5: You will need to visit your email accout at https://outlook.ecsd.net and confirm your email address by selecting the link.
Step 6: Now that your account is created, you'll be able to make the subscription purchase of Adobe CC software at a cost of $45/year.